San Jose, CA, USA – Align Technology, Inc. announced 14 research awards totalling $310,000 in new funding to four universities in North America and eight international universities for projects seeking to better understand treatment in orthodontics, dentistry and the use of intraoral scanners.
“We are very excited that universities all over the globe are showing great interest in the Align Research Awards Programme,” said Mr. John Morton, Align Technology Sr. Technical Fellow. “The number of applications and the quality of the proposed research increases every year. Align is honoured to be able to provide this opportunity for researchers who endeavour to improve dental and orthodontic treatment of patients worldwide.”
The North America research award recipients for 2016 are:
- Dr. Katie Julien and Dr. James Boley, Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry (Dallas, TX), $25,000
- Dr. J. Martin Palomo and Sofia Xofylli, Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH), $25,000
- Dr. Prashanti Bollu and Dr. Glen Roberson, Roseman University of Health Sciences (Henderson, NV), $25,000
- Dr. Tarek El-Bialy, University of Alberta (Alberta, CA), $25,000
The international research award recipients for 2016 are:
- Dr. Guo Hua Tang, Dr. Feng Ting Chu and Dr. Yi Ming Yang, Shanghai JiaoTong University (Shanghai, China), $25,000
- Dr. Jing Guo, Dr. Deshui, Dr. Xiaoxin Shi, Dr. Delong Jiao, Dr. Shanshan Cao, Dr. Jing Liu, Dr. Guangxue Wu, Dr. Dingyang Li, Dr. Ning Zhou, Dr. Xinwei Chen and Dr. Jiayu Li, Shandong University (Shandong, China), $25,000
- Dr. Ellen Wen-Ching Ko, Chang Gung University (Taipei, Taiwan), $25,000
- Dr. Kamy Malekian, Dr. Juan Carlos Palma Fernandez, Dr. Leonor Muelas Fernandez and Dr. Eva Maria Rosa Vazquez, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Madrid, Spain), $25,000
- Dr. Christina Erbe and Dr. Thomas Drechsler, University Medical Centre of the Johannes Gutenberg (Mainz, Germany), $25,000
- Dr. Laura Strohmenger, Dr. Angela Malerba and Dr. Araxi Balian, Universita degli Studi di Milano (Milano, Italy), $25,000
- Dr. Graciela Julia Barreda, Dr. Gabriela Caldentey, Dr. Elizabeth Alejandra Dzierewianko, Dr. Valeria Mazza, Dr. Rocio Moreno, Dr. Karina Andrea Munoz, Dr. Gisela Ines Piccoli and Dr. Hugo Jorge Romanelli, S.A.O.-U.C.E.S (Buenos Aires, Argentina), $25,000
- Dr. Chiu-Mei Lo and Dr. Susie Lin, National Defence Medical Centre (Taipei, Taiwan), $25,000
“The response from the academic community has been increasingly positive in the European and Asia-Pacific regions, especially Greater China, where there has been an increase in clear aligner therapy and keen interest in advancing the science and research at these reputable universities,” said Mitra Derakhshan, Align Technology Sr. Director, Global Clinical.
The funded research studies cover a wide range of topics including root resorption, treatment stability, comparisons of success of treatment using aligners versus fixed appliances, and the use of aligners in surgical treatment.
The intraoral scanner research award recipients for 2016 are:
- Dr. Sarah Rolland and Mrs. Ania Cala, Newcastle University (Newcastle, UK), $5,000
- Dr. Giuseppe Riccardo Spampinato and Tommaso Castroflorio, Universita degli Studi di Catania (Catania, Italy), $5,000
The intraoral scanner awards address the use of scanners in education and in the treatment of special needs patients.
All proposals received were reviewed and prioritised by an independent academic committee in a blind evaluation. The 2017 Align Research Award Programme submission details are to be announced later this year.